- Voodoo spiritism has a strong influence in the majority of Haitian culture.
- Haiti is the most densely populated and poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.
- AIDS is rampant with 5.6% of adults infected with HIV/AIDS.
- 1 in 8 children die before the age of 5.
- People regularly die from minor illnesses. Cholera continues to be a problem.
- Life expectancy is under 50 years old.
- 80-90% unemployment rate.
- Average income is $450.
- 23% of children suffer from malnutrition.
- 80% of the population is functionally illiterate.